Easy Recipes: How to make Cottage Pie?
Something’s baking in the oven! Having more time to spare at my new home also gave me more opportunities to explore new / refresh old recipes. This is one of my favourite bakes while I was on exchange in Switzerland as it is a fuss-free meal that is oh-so-fulfilling in the cold wintery months!
Cottage Pie Ingredients
- 6 small potatoes - 2 carrots - 1 large onion - 200g beef (or more if you wish) - 1 can of tomato/pasta sauce (I used Prego) - milk - salt - pepper - cheese!! (I used a mix of cheddar and mozzarella)
How to make cottage pies?
1. Boil Potatoes and Carrots in a pot 2. 10 minutes later, remove carrots and dice them 3. Dice onions 4. Heat up a deep pan with oil, when it is hot, add onions and fry till it becomes translucent 5. Add carrots and continue frying, add water if required to continue steaming the carrots and onions...
6. Allow the water to dry up before adding the meat. (I didn’t marinate the meat and only added seasoning while cooking, but if you wish to, you can marinate the meat with salt and pepper plus an egg) 7. After meat is fully cooked, add the tomato/pasta sauce 8. Bring it to boil and continue cooking on low heat to continue simmer 9. The potatoes should have been boiled till mushy/soft by now, remove from heat and run it through cold water!
10. Peel the skin off the potatoes 11. Chop them into smaller pieces and mash them up (use a mixer to create a creamy texture) 12. Add milk (I usually add a little by little till it looks creamy) and a little bit of salt! 13. Preheat oven at 160degree Celsius 14. Now, place the red beef sauce into a baking tin and smoothen it out. Top it up with some cheese... 15. Spread the potato mash on top and top it off with more cheese
16. Place it in the oven and bake till the top turns golden brown!
And that’s it! I was concentrating on making this dish and totally forgot to take pictures of the process... Also learning to get used to my new kitchen.. shall remember to do so next time!